Monday, May 2, 2011

Promise. Promise.

Once upon a time, there was a man who worked all of his life and saved all of his money. He was a real miser. He loved money more than anything else. Just before he died, he said to his wife,"Now listen. When I die, I want you to take all my money and place it in the coffin with me. I want to take my money to my afterlife." So he got his wife to promise him with all her heart.
One day, he died. His body was stretched out in the coffin. The wife was sitting there in black next to her closest friend. When they finished the ceremony, and just before the undertakers got ready to close the coffin, the wife handed out a shoe box and placed it in the coffin. Then the undertakers locked the coffin down and rolled it away.
Her friend said, "I hope you weren't crazy enough to put all that money in the coffin." The wife said, "Yes. I promised. I'm a good Catholic. I can't lie. I promised him that I was going to put that money in the coffin with him." Her friend raised her voice, "My goodness. You mean to tell me you put every cent of his money in the coffin with him?" The wife said calmly, "Why, yes. I sure did. I put them all into my account, and I wrote him a cheque."

No comments:

Post a Comment