Monday, December 30, 2019

As TIME Goes By ............

Time can be seen as instant or interval.

While I was writing this blog, Johnson came to ask me, "What time's it now, dad?" To which, I answered, "At this instant, it's 7 am on Wednesday 6 April, 2011." To be exact, 7 am on Wednesday 6 April, 2011 was the instant when I was looking at my watch before telling Johnson the time. By the time I finished saying that sentence, it was probably 15 seconds past 7, and it was some other instant already. Hence, instant is a snapshot at some point in time where there is no motion of any sort. At 7 am, I was looking at my watch. Johnson was standing beside me. Everything was in a standstill as if captured by a camera. But as I was telling the time (with some motion), TIME continues to advance continuously. There is saying that instant does not exist for if it does, motion will not be possible.
The situation is like real numbers. We cannot have answer to the question, "what is the next number after 1?". Naturally we say 2 is the number next to 1. But very quickly, we know that 1.5 is more 'next' to 1 than 2 is, and we can further get smaller number closer than 1 than 1.5. Even though we come to the number 1.00 ......... 001 to tens of thousands of digits, we can always get yet another number more closer to 1 than it.

No comments:

Post a Comment