Friday, April 12, 2013

A Random Act of Kindness

I recently read an article in my son's school magazine, the Knoxonian. It was an extract of an email from a father of a Year 7 boy to the Headmaster in which I quote below. Charlie is the name I use for the Year 7 boy for the sake of this story.

'Good morning.
I just want to let you know of a very positive experience that my son, Charlie in Year 7, encountered at school yesterday. Actually, it was Charlie himself who asked me if I could email you to let you know about what took place.
The Year 7s had only just received their ID cards this week. I told Charlie he could get his lunch from the canteen yesterday by using his new card, however I had forgotten to register his ID number on the Flexischools website.
Charlie went to the canteen and ordered his lunch, only to be told his card was not working and he then thought he would have to go without lunch. Then to his surprise, a lovely Year 12 boy (or Year 11) told the canteen staff that he would pay for his lunch. Charlie thanked him profusely and before he could ask his name the boy told Charlie not to worry as "sometimes it happens".
Charlie was obviously very grateful to this boy, as it was the first thing he told me about his day when I picked him up yesterday. I'm sure it is something Charlie will remember for many years to come, and that should he ever come across a new boy or any other person in the future that requires a helping hand, he remembers this kind act shown towards him in his early days in Year 7.
I was hoping there might be some way of thanking this mystery boy, as I think this young man should be acknowledged for his thoughtfulness.
It is also a wonderful example of the type of young man that Knox Grammar sends out into our community.'

The story was indeed a very simple one, and yet the significance has been profound. A lovely 'mystery' boy did something which he regarded as natural as something "sometimes it happens". But he probably wasn't aware that the seemingly unimportant matter could have caused an overwhelming effect on a Year 7 boy, and to the father of the Year 7 boy. It could be totally out of his imagination that his random act of kindness had so much enhanced the image of the school and encouraged a selfless, good-spirited and more connected community. There are plenty of such (good) stories happening around us everyday provided we have the time and heart to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment